Yo Knitta’s so cheap, she puts sock yarn on layaway

Saturday, July 15th, 2006

I used to think that I was being very cheap. I’d put off knitting the maybe-too-luxe garments I’d love to have although I could technically afford them. I desperately wanted to knit Butterfly, but even three balls of Kid Silk Haze was a thorn in my penny-pinching paw, let alone the additional price of the magazine. I thought I was cheap.

But then I read a post by Domesticat and I realized… it’s not my wallet that wants me to stop knitting. It’s Canada. Our home and native land? More like our home and inflative land. (You like that? I liked that.)

And now I’m comparing prices all over the place.

Three skeins of KSH: $35-$45 in Domesticat-land. $55-$65 in Eve-land.

A sweater in the US: I’ve heard $60.
A sweater in Canada: At least $90.

A pair of socks in the US: A smile and some home-baked buns.
A pair of socks in Canada: Like at least seven pies.

Shipping in the US: Free or low.
Shipping to Canada: Two (2) first born. That’s especially hard because you have to convince a friend to go in on it.

How much does a pair of socks or a sweater cost for you? Where are you from?

7 Comments to “Yo Knitta’s so cheap, she puts sock yarn on layaway”

1. Haha!! Great comparisons! Honestly, a sweater is pricey in my neck of the woods because well… I’m a big girl. :D But hey!

Liz
    July 15, 2006 @ 11:39 pm
  2. You want in Indian rupees or US dollars? The former is more impressive:

A sweater in all acrylic (ptui) yarn cost me about Rs 250 (the same as I’d pay for a drapier, better finished, cheap acrylic machine knit) when I made it a few weeks ago.

Never made socks yet, so I can’t comment, sorry.

But I can tell you that wool apparently goes for between Rs 1000 and Rs 2000 per kilo (yes, that’s how it is usually sold, by weight). We don’t get it where I live so it’s academic anyway.

The rupee is about 47 to the US$ (or 6 to the $ if you believe in purchasing power parity).

Comment by MrsFife
    July 18, 2006 @ 12:10 am
  3. Wow, a commenter from India! I’ve always wanted to travel to India, my friend Shashi always talks about how she hangs out with cows and stuff when she goes there. Not all the time, but you know, they’re randomly around all over the place, she says. I guess I should probably buy my yarn before I leave, mostly because I can’t figure out in my head whether India’s yarn is cheaper or not so I’ll just be a creature of habit.

July 18, 2006 @ 9:10 am
  4. Great post! That’s the story of my life. Here in Germany sock yarn is fairly inexpensive, say 6 EURO for a 100gr skein. But then anything else is horrible. I’m cheap too. I wanted to knit a sweater this summer from a cotton mix but it would have cost me 55 EURO which is a bit more than $60 I believe. That for cotton mix?? No way. That’s why I’m constantly on the lookout for inexpensive substitutes for the good stuff. I love Knit Picks or Elann.com-they have great yarn at affordable prices. Too bad shipping is so high. I say we move to the States just for yarn. Are you game?

Comment by Kimberly
    July 19, 2006 @ 2:22 pm
  5. Oh man, I am so game you have no idea.

I second the Knit Picks and Elann.com. I think I’ll leverage that knowledge for my mom’s shawl.

July 20, 2006 @ 10:34 pm
  6. I feel your pain about buying yarn in Canada. I bought sock yarn to knit my father his usual Christmas socks at a yarn store in Ontario and it was $20.00 (before tax) for 100g of a wool & nylon variated. Not a price tag could be found in the store so it was a surprise at the checkout. To make it worse 100g wasn’t enough to finish the socks (men’s size 11 and I was assured by the clerk that 100g would be enough) so I had to use left over yarn from my stash to knit the toes as it was not going back for more at that price.

Comment by Donna
    January 3, 2008 @ 12:07 am
  7. Have you Canajans ever heard of Herrschners? dot com of course. I just found it and LOVE it for their prices. They have sales too, at, of course, yarnsale.com

Comment by Neville Hendershot