Kitchener stitch, more like bitchener stitch

Tuesday, September 5th, 2006

Jaywalker

From now on, I’m going to knit all my socks toe up! I still like this sock, but next time I’ll make the following adjustments:

• Tighter leg – Even though I cut the stitch count down to 60 or so, it was still too loose. I think that might have been because of the ruffles I added at the top, so maybe it was okay. I definitely won’t be adding very many ruffles from now on.
  • I prefer either a really long or really short stocking. Summer socks or winter socks; Canadians don’t really have a very substantial autumn or spring. So I could try this as an ankle sock, perhaps. I’ll have quite a bit left of this yarn, so hopefully I can squeeze an ankle sock out of it.
  • No more kitchener!

6 Comments to “Kitchener stitch, more like bitchener stitch”

1. Cute as pie sock! I hear what you are saying about Canadian sockwear needs. It’s sandal socks (if there’s such a thing) and big long warm ones to go with your long johns. ;) I remember that from my years in Manitoba.

lorinda
    September 5, 2006 @ 10:40 pm
  2. hehehe your socks look SO cute =)*)

Comment by April
    September 5, 2006 @ 11:27 pm
  3. I love toe up socks too :)

Comment by wavybrains
    September 6, 2006 @ 12:02 am
  4. Embrace the Kitchener! You’ll never know when a larger project (ie. sweater) will need it (like Rogue). Socks are your opportunity to practice and get it right for low risk. Or, try Elizabeth Zimmerman’s practice method from the Knitter’s Almanac.

When we come across something that is tough to do, it’s a learning opportunity!

Comment by LaurieM
    September 6, 2006 @ 6:49 am
  5. Oh, I can handle it, it’s a fairly easy process, I just don’t like the way it looks for socks because it paunches out on both sides. It’d be good for other things, of course, but I don’t like the way it works for socks. I’d much prefer a kitchener along the top seam, like store-bought socks. I think I just prefer the way short rows look.

September 6, 2006 @ 9:45 am
  6. If you would like your Kitchener along the top seam, might I suggest the book Simple Socks Plain and Fancy by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts? She has a short row toe that has you Kitchener across the top of the sock, or bottom, if you prefer. It’s an excellent book–all short-rows, all the time. There is also plenty in there about knitting toe-to-top if you’d still rather work that way.

Comment by Sarah