Comment! Talk! Converse!

Thursday, January 4th, 2007
Tags:

Whenever I have significant work to do that isn’t panic-worthy, I always end up blogging or playing around with Firefox* add-ons to avoid working take a break between work periods. Therefore, it is no surprise that I will be adding two new comment-love WordPress plugins to this site, both of which I found via John Chow.

The first, Subscribe to Comments 2.0, is a plugin I’d seen in action and wanted to use but never knew where it came from. It’s nothing huge; just a little check-box by the comment form that lets you subscribe to the given conversation by email. I’ve subscribed to email comments in this manner once or twice, so I know it works.

The second, Show Top Commentators, is a little reward for frequent commenters to my site. A list in the sidebar shows my top ten commenters as well as a link to their blog, meaning they’re rewarded with blog traffic as well as google-love. I really like this idea, because I can return the joy of getting a comment back to the commenter via the joy of getting a link. It’s implemented on my sidebar, check it out!

UPDATE, 5:48PM: Just FYI, I rewrote most of Show Top Commentators so that it would do what I wanted it to do. There were a few bugs involving the website filter and such, and I modified it to use email as a unique key instead of name.

So there’s some incentive to comment! I love getting them, and you’ll love leaving them! And that, my friends, makes a happy internet.

*Heehee! Firefox just spell-checked itself. L-O-L!

19 Comments to “Comment! Talk! Converse!”

1. Well how clever is that? Guess I shouldn’t be a “ghost in the night” so often then, huh?

Rhonda the Stitchingnut
    January 4, 2007 @ 1:48 pm
  2. :) Nope!

January 4, 2007 @ 2:15 pm
  3. Fine, Fine, I’ll delurk more often!

Comment by Flan
    January 4, 2007 @ 2:37 pm
  4. I like those plugins. I will have to install them into my Firefox. I find it funny how spell checking software doesn’t recognize tech words. I had to add blog to the built in Blogger spell checker (until FF 2.0 came).
    Any other good plugins that you would recommend

Comment by Teresa
    January 4, 2007 @ 2:59 pm
  5. Will also delurk more often too.

Comment by Lisa
    January 4, 2007 @ 3:04 pm
  6. Woooohooooo! I’m surfin’ on a comment wave!

January 4, 2007 @ 3:09 pm
  7. I was so excited but they are wordpress plugins not firefox plugins. I guess this maybe another reason to switch from blogger. Oh and I forgot to mention before but I believe google reader made the switch in your feeds seamlessly. You mentioned you were switching and I noticed today it sent me to you .ca address.

Comment by Teresa
    January 4, 2007 @ 3:21 pm
  8. That’s probably due to my obsessiveness at making my feed and everything else transfer seamlessly. I also have to credit dreamhost and wordpress and feedburner too; I believe the seamless transition was because all the links in the feed I send out were changed to needle-exchange.ca and because you’re probably reading via my feedburner feed, it all magically transferred. Yay!

January 4, 2007 @ 3:28 pm
  9. Thanks for the links! That looks like fun stuff!

Comment by Carol
    January 4, 2007 @ 5:44 pm
  10. Did you start in WordPress or transfer over? I’m considering moving Emphatic Knitting over, but I’m leery of something going wrong in the transfer….

Comment by Flan
    January 4, 2007 @ 6:14 pm
  11. I started with plain text, then moved to Blogger, then moved to Movable Type, and then to WordPress. WordPress was the easiest to move over by far. I would definitely recommend switching!

January 4, 2007 @ 6:20 pm
  12. you are officially a comment whore! i wish i could be more like you.

Comment by batman
    January 4, 2007 @ 9:14 pm
  13. Is there something missing? Your blog looks different. Stuff on the right hand side is gone. Or is that my imagination running wild. Hey I love the “riding on a comment” remark!

Comment by Rhonda the Stitchingnut
    January 5, 2007 @ 9:48 am
  14. It’s there now, but just not filling my screen. Gorget what I said. It was just probably the transition.

Comment by Rhonda the Stitchingnut
    January 5, 2007 @ 9:51 am
  15. Hm, that’s strange. I don’t remember having done anything different. Too bad I missed it. What do you mean by everything was gone? Was there just no text there? Hm. Maybe it’s an IE thing. I’ll have to check this afternoon.

January 5, 2007 @ 10:32 am
  16. ooh look i’m there!

Comment by maryse
    January 6, 2007 @ 7:03 pm
  17. Yup … down the righthand side everything was gone & there was a blank spot…. no text or pictures. But you baaaaacck! Maybe someone else had been making a comment at the same time and the counter couldn’t keep up the pace, LOL! Glad to know all is well now.

Comment by Rhonda the Stitchingnut
    January 7, 2007 @ 2:30 pm
  18. ooooh that is very very clever! I will have to see If I can add that to my blog!! woo hoo!

Comment by Denise
    January 7, 2007 @ 2:33 pm
  19. heheheheeee – dangle the “have your name up in lights, thing” and it WORKS! lol good idea.

Comment by April