From Chapter 2 of The Picture of Dorian Gray

Wednesday, March 14th, 2007

I really like this paragraph, and I felt I had to share it with you folks.

“But we never get back our youth. The pulse of joy that beats in us at twenty becomes sluggish. Our limbs fail, our senses rot. We degenerate into hideous puppets, haunted by the memory of the passions of which we were too much afraid, and the exquisite temptations that we had not the courage to yield to. Youth! Youth! There is absolutely nothing in the world but youth!”

Emphasis mine. A line like that hasn’t affected me in such a way ever since I read “Ffangs the Vampire Bat and the Kiss of Truth” (for approximately the 5th or 6th time) and was suddenly struck by the phrase, “guzzling cakes.”

I wish Knit The Classics was currently reading this book so that it would be relevant to knitting. It should be; the first two chapters at least have been obsessed with the concept of art, creativity and genius. I think any knitter would benefit from reading it. There’s also a romantic subplot that feels a little like 19th century pseudo-slash.

OMG, I just looked up Oscar Wilde on Wikipedia and it says he made out with Walt Whitman!

6 Comments to “From Chapter 2 of The Picture of Dorian Gray”

1. Sheesh! I hope it wasn’t later in life when Whitman had that heinous scraggly beard!

Rebecca
    March 14, 2007 @ 12:41 pm
  2. Yeah, no kidding. I associate him with corpses and the sea. And sea corpses.

March 14, 2007 @ 1:00 pm
  3. Man, I love “Dorian Gray”! And Oscar Wilde in general! One of my favorite memories was seeing his grave at Pere Lachaise Cemetery — it was a big Art Deco sphinx. There were unsmoked cigarettes balanced along it, and the front was covered with lipstick kisses!

Comment by Arlette
    March 14, 2007 @ 11:54 pm
  4. Yes, but isn’t ‘hideous puppets’ kind of redundant?

Comment by Ariel
    March 15, 2007 @ 4:07 pm
  5. Hi! I loved Dorian Gray. Angela Langsbury actually was his love interest in that movie. Also, I am hoping you might be interested in a contest I am having to design a banner for me. The incentive? 2 hanks of Handmaiden’s Great Big Sea Silk. :) Hope to hear from you soon!
    =:8

Comment by Kimberly from Some Bunny's Love
    March 16, 2007 @ 12:57 am
  6. About the sphynx: apparently it was fully… erm… anatomically realized until someone stole the… erm… outcropping. Some guy did a performance art piece where a silver replacement was installed. Weird!

I do like the red kisses image. It makes me think of the ’40s. I want to become a professional woman of the ’40s so I can wear dark red lipstick all the time, of the kind that smears when you are ruthlessly kissed by Humphrey Bogart.

March 16, 2007 @ 7:19 am