Denise or Options?

Thursday, April 5th, 2007
Tags:

My birthday was a little while ago, and my parents asked me if there was anything I wanted for my birthday. Interchangeable needles (and more importantly the case to carry them in, so I wouldn’t lose my needles in the nooks and crannies of my room) immediately came to mind. I’ve been lustin’ on the KnitPicks Options ever since I heard about them, but I’d also noticed that only went down to a 3.5mm, and I’m a loose knitter so for anything laceweight I need 3mm or lower. I’d heard the Denise Set wasn’t as good, but that it also went down to lower sizes, so I was torn about getting the KnitPicks and sacrificing the smaller sizes. But you know what? That was a filthy lie someone told me. I just checked, and the KnitPicks needles actually go down to a smaller size than the Denise needles (who only go down to a size 5).

You know what this means? Eve’s second knitting-purchase-that-is-not-yarn of the year. I do believe those Options are Options that I can’t refuse. Next thing you know I’ll buy a ball winder and a swift. Yes, those are things I want for my birthday. I want them very much. (The beau hasn’t found me a present yet, so I thought I’d throw that in there. Seriously, you should have seen the look on his face when I told him that the only things I wanted involved pulling bits of string through other bits of string. He thinks it’s “so cute.” :) )

10 Comments to “Denise or Options?”

1. I have both, and prefer the Options set. It’s awesome!
    I’m a loose knitter as well, so I also have some of the smaller circs that are not part of the Options Set. Very very happy with all of my Knitpicks needles. :smile:

Brenda
    April 5, 2007 @ 9:27 am
  2. Good choice – I have a Denise set, and rarely use it anymore – the cords are too thick. One of these days I will get a set of Options, although for the time being, I have accumulated a selection of long addis and magic loop everything.

Comment by ladylungdoc
    April 5, 2007 @ 9:43 am
  3. I’m interested in hearing how you like the options. I’m planning on getting them in the future. But for now, I’m using my denise set for anything that doesn’t require the use of the size 5. For me, the cord is thinker than the size 5 needle and it’s too painful to knit with.

Comment by May
    April 5, 2007 @ 10:32 am
  4. I have a couple of the options needles. But I love love love my Denise set and rarely use anything else. Each to his own!

Comment by Emily
    April 5, 2007 @ 11:26 am
  5. I have Denise, and just ordered options!

Comment by Adrienne
    April 5, 2007 @ 1:12 pm
  6. I have Denise and would like to get Options so I can give the Denise set to my daughter (she’s just learning to knit). I just don’t like knitting with plastic … but my DD doesn’t have a preference yet.

Comment by Rhonda the Stitchingnut
    April 5, 2007 @ 1:57 pm
  7. I love my Denise interchangeables. But I would be interested to hear what you think of the Knitpicks needles. Just ’cause, you know, I might need to buy some. Or something….

Comment by Carol
    April 5, 2007 @ 3:36 pm
  8. I have a couple smaller sized Options and I really like them. I also have the Denise set that I use all the time, but I do have problems with it. The cords are thick and the rubber that they are made from becomes a huge pain when you have alot of stitches on the cord, especially if you are using cotton or something grabby.

Comment by Nia
    April 6, 2007 @ 9:12 pm
  9. I have the knit-picks small circulars (not options) and I really like them for sock-knitting, I love how flexible the cord is. I only wish they came in longer lengths. I switched over to using Addis for 2 and a time on 1 circular, because 40 inches makes it much easier than the knit-picks 32s.

Comment by Whichy
    April 8, 2007 @ 11:31 am
  10. I had the same dilemma just the other day. I’m not quick in the decision making department cuz, like, what if I pick the ‘wrong’ one?! I read all the reviews, read promo material for each and finally decided on the Options. I don’t like plastic needles, for one, and I love pointy tips. I have KP circulars for socks and really like them so I probably won’t be disappointed.

One note of warning I heard from a friend with Options. Check each cable carefully for ‘problems’ (apparently the most common one is some kind of stretched portion that causes yarn to snag frightfully, usually right by the join) and screw each cable into each needle. Do all this first thing to make sure everything is as it should be. KP is very good about exchanging bad parts.

Comment by LaDonna