Eve’s KnitPicks wishlist

Monday, April 16th, 2007
Tags: , ,

I’m going to buy the KnitPicks Options set, and while I’m paying for that I figured I should buy some yarn for a few projects I’m planning. This is far too much yarn to buy, so I need to cull the list! Does anyone have opinions on any of these?

• 3 x Shadow in Jewels or maybe Vineyard (for a Shetland Triangle)
  • 3 x Alpaca Cloud in Tide Pool (for my self-designed shawl, to be knit after the Shetland Triangle so I have a vague idea what I’m doing)
  • 2 x Bare Merino Wool Lace Weight (for a fun dyeing project)
  • Palette in a few colours, probably red, black, mist, purple and green (for Komi mittens)

Additionally, I’m taking suggestions for luxurious 100% wool or wool blend sock yarn (or even just fingering weight yarn that could be used for socks) that requires 2 skeins for a pair of socks. I want to knit two socks, but each in a different colourway, and I would rather not have leftovers lying around.

Oh yeah, and my essay is finished so I’m totally allowed to spend this morning on a matching hat for my Backyard Leaves Scarf. That makes a full hat, scarf, and mitten set!

8 Comments to “Eve’s KnitPicks wishlist”

1. I personally like Shadows a lot more than Alpaca Cloud; I made an Adamas shawl out of Shadow in Vineyard, and I love it! I’ve got Alpaca Cloud in the stash, but I haven’t used it yet. And Palette is great for colorwork mittens; it really stands up to a lot of frogging….

Megan
    April 16, 2007 @ 10:41 am
  2. Sorry, I clicked submit before saying congratulations on finishing up your essay! You deserve some woolly rewards!

Comment by Megan
    April 16, 2007 @ 10:42 am
  3. hmm. i’m in love with shadow. i have both vineyard and jewels .. to make swallowtails. i don’t have any alpaca cloud to compare it to though. I’m happy knitting with it. FWIW.

congrats on finishing your essay. hope your “finish-vibes” reach brooklyn and i finish my papers..

Comment by penny
    April 16, 2007 @ 3:21 pm
  4. I don’t know about the laceweight versions, but I like KP’s medium-weight wool much better than their sport-weight alpaca. There’s just no spring in the alpaca…

How about koigu? Or Lorna’s (I’d use shepherd sport)? Or Spirit-Trails sportweight yarn?

Comment by naomi
    April 16, 2007 @ 5:24 pm
  5. For what it’s worth, I love the alpaca cloud! It’s light and soft and I like how it’s got depth of color in the heathering without being variegated. But then, I haven’t tried shadow yet (clearly, I must…)

Comment by Kate A.
    April 17, 2007 @ 2:33 pm
  6. I used Cloud in Tidepool for the FBS. It was my second shawl ever knit (the first was Icarus in KSH Night for a friend). It was nice to work with and blocked well, but I haven’t done much lace other than those two. Yet. :)

Comment by Gina
    April 17, 2007 @ 2:41 pm
  7. I don’t know about KnitPicks, but I have some Misti alpaca laceweight that, as much as it pains me to say so, I really hate knitting. So right now my vote would be alpacafor lace = bad plan; go with the Shadow!

Comment by Emily
    April 18, 2007 @ 1:41 pm
  8. Yay! I love all these responses, especially since they’re telling me what I wanted to hear. I guess I’ll put off the alpaca cloud for now; I have a bunch of alpaca I haven’t knit anyway, so if I really need to, I can use that stuff.

Thanks everyone!