Tags: Hats, In Progress
I thought I’d document for you how many hats I’ve had to go through to get one right.
This was attempt number two. I first knit the cables too tight, so I had to rip back and throw in a few yarn overs before each cable to give them room to breathe. It looked like crap, but given the amount of time I spent trying to get it right, I didn’t have the heart to frog it. It sat around for a while, and then finally I brought up the nerve and ripped it apart. Then I realized I should photograph it for posterity, which is why the hat has no top in this picture.
I decided that I liked the Santa Cruz pattern from a recent MagKnits, so I did it up as the Sport Weight version. I frogged the bottom three times before I got the hang of the pattern, but then I made it to the top, as you can see in the following picture:
Little had I known that my gauge was way off. So that got frogged.
So then I finished the Worsted Weight version. The yarn was definitely not bulky! It couldn’t have been bulky. Huh… still too big. [There's no picture here because I went crazy at this point. Hair flew.]
So now I’m working on the bulky version, and it’s just the right size. In case you folks are counting, that’s 5 attempts for a single goddamn* hat.
* pardon my French.