Tags: Elizabeth Zimmermann, EZ Baby Sweater, Finished Projects, Garter Stitch, Projects
Elizabeth “EZ” Zimmermann’s February Baby Sweater, started April 6th, 2007, finished May 21st, 2007, seamed and finished finished on July 9th, 2007
Pattern: February Baby Sweater from Knitter’s Almanac (got it at the library)
Yarn: Some blue and yellow cotton I ripped from a cardigan (the buttons I used were from the same cardigan). It’s butter soft and it made a beautiful fabric.
Final price of the knit: $4 for the yarn and buttons, $0 for the book, some of the yarn is still hanging around so I’ll say around $3.
Needles: 5mm circulars
Dimensions: 1.5 ft x 2 ft, baby-sized
Pattern Notes: I think I followed the directions somewhat improperly when it came to the arm holes. I can’t remember where I read it, but there was a post recently about the way another girl did hers and she mentioned that she picked up stitches at the arm holes instead of casting on and seaming later. If you know which one I’m talking about, let me know so I can post a link. Aside from the arm holes and adding two selvage stitches to each sleeve for easier seaming, I don’t think I made any changes. I did the garter stitch in yellow as a cute contrast.
Would I knit it again? I wish I could knit a billion of these! Any time there’s another baby I’ll turn to this pattern because it’s so fun and it looks adorable. I’d knit it completely seamlessly, though, knitting the sleeves in the round (with a fake seam, possibly) and picking up around the arm holes. I’d maybe play around with a different type of flower, or do something like Elliphantom did. Elliphantom, of course, knit the version that convinced me I had to find a baby so that I could knit it. I remembered that my old boss had had a kid, so as a thank you for two good years I decided to give this to him as a present. The sweater will be accompanied by these baby booties.
For the flower, I combined two flowers from Handknit Holidays (from the library as well). I knit a slightly modified Morning Star flower in blue and the Pinwheel flower in yellow and joined them with a bobble. To make the Morning Star flower a bit smaller so it wouldn’t overpower the one behind it, I cast on 35 stitches instead of 55. I also removed two rows, I believe. The Pinwheel flower had a lot of ends to weave in, and you can see that when you look at the back. I might quickly sew a little fabric on the back so it doesn’t look like crap.
I didn’t think to graft the two arm holes together, so I used mattress stitch and it turned out really tight. I don’t like it, but that’s life. I’d like to think I’d take it out and redo it, but I probably won’t because I don’t think the graft would look any better. Next time I’ll remember that if I have to graft, I should knit a row of stockinette first so that the grafting doesn’t have to deal with the craziness of lace.
Here’s a glance at one of the sleeves. I like the slight waviness produced by the lace stitches.
It’s amazing what a few yarn-overs can do.
Here is a close-up of the button band and buttons!